Thursday, June 9, 2011

Phoebe the Flower Girl

So I know I'm a little bit biased, but my daughter pretty much kicked butt as a flower girl.  In my mind I had prepared for nothing but the worst - but that's when she usually surprises me anyways.  We walked down the aisle together, because I knew there was no way to coherence her down by herself - and each handful of tossed petals was met with an enthusiastic "Wheeeeeee!"

Pretty freaking cute - and not bad for a little girl who isn't even two years old yet! 

phoebe060411a

So the dress.  Can you believe this entire dress cost me a grand total of $7 to make?  Take that, David's Bridal!  I bought a yard of this fabric from Joann's with a 50% off coupon (originally $14/yard), and the buttons, thread and lining fabric was from my stash.

ceremony060411g

I used the Flower Girl Dress pattern (very fitting) from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing.  It was super simple to make, and I finished the entire dress in a single sitting.  I made a little more work for myself by adding a lining to the skirt since my outer fabric was rather sheer (I used a soft old sheet since Phoebe is always complaining about clothes being "too itchy"), but it definitely added to the floofyness of the dress, which earned her more cute points.

party060411p
She was quite the dancing machine at the reception.  Glow bracelet - check.  Lollipop - check.
I read over the errata for this dress before starting, so I followed everyone's advice and added buttons to the back of the straps to make it easier to get on and off, but it was still a beast trying to shimmy that tiny little bodice over a squirmy toddler's arms and shoulders.  But once it was on, it fit great and looked darn cute.

party060411q

And it was comfortable enough to rock out in - very important!

5 comments:

  1. Phoebe and the dress are both totally darling! So much fun to sew for little girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooooo cute Em! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that material you found—and what a deal! She is totally adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you on the news you just mentioned over on my blog. That's incredible -- less than a 1% chance!? And what a beautiful girl child #1 is!

    ReplyDelete