Sunday, October 2, 2011

Not only do I make quilts, but I can also read minds...

I was recently commissioned to make a quilt for someone to take to a baby shower.  The only info given to me "She's having a boy".  Nothing involving the new mom's taste, nursery decor, likes or dislikes, etc.

So here's my interpretation of "She's having a boy".

_DSC2606

I stuck with a pretty traditional "boy" palette of greens, blues, and browns.  The only three prints in the entire quilt are Denyse Schmidt's Kitchy Tile in Cornflower, Joel Dewberry's Woodgrain, and Robert Kaufman's Carnaby Street.  Then I threw in some green (some shade of Kona), and white from a thrifted sheet.

_DSC2599

I quilted across each square 4 times - both diagonally, vertically, and horizontally.

_DSC2603

The back is mostly Kona Ash, with some leftover pieces from the front thrown in.  These photos were taken before it was thrown into the wash, but it crinkled up quite nicely in case you were wondering :)

_DSC2600

After the quilt was presented to the new mom at the shower, I was told that she absolutely loved it and exclaimed that it would fit in the nursery perfectly since she was decorating the room in shades of green and was having a large mural of a tree painted on one wall.

I don't know whether to be flattered, or a little frightened!

2 comments: