Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bite-size apple pies


_DSC2773

Is anyone else's house overflowing with apples?  Well, this recipe won't get rid of a ton of them (I think I only used 4 apples for the entire batch of two dozen micro-pies), but it's certainly a cute and delicious fall treat!  Everything is more fun in miniature, right?

_DSC2736

I started by rolling out some of my great-grandma's fantastic pie crust that had been chilling in the fridge (roll it out between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment - it keeps it from sticking and you don't have to add any excess flour).  Then I used a cookie cutter to cut out 3 inch circles of dough.

_DSC2740

I nestled the dough into mini muffin tins and let the edges naturally crimp as they settled into place.

_DSC2749

Then I mixed up my apple filling.  Like I said, it only took about 4 apples (I used golden delicious, picked from Wasem's Fruit Farm last week) mixed with some flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to fill all of the tiny pies.  Sorry I can't provide exact amounts - I always eyeball measurements when I bake - contrary to what people say about baking being an exact science.  But then again, I rock as a baker, but completely suck at cooking.  Go figure.

_DSC2751

Fill your crusts with the apple filling, erring on the side of overflowing since the apples will cook down a bit.

_DSC2757

Then I made my crumb topping.  Once again, no measurements, but I promise that if you combine some butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats (not the quick cooking kind), you'll end up with something delicious.  

_DSC2762

Sprinkle the topping evenly over your pies.

_DSC2767

Bake at 425 for about 25 minutes, or until they are bubbling and the crust and topping looks nice and brown.  Prepare for squeals of excitement when you bring them to your next party.  Or just eat them all before 24 hours is up.  That's what happened in this family :)

9 comments:

  1. Those look amazing!

    It seems that people are either bakers or cooks. I bake, my husband cooks (not very often, but when he can). It would be interesting to figure out what appeals to each group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky enough to be multi-talented... I can bake and cook! It's crazy. Those look fantastically delicious and can't wait to make them!!! What a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so yummy! I actually wish I had some extra apples, I may have to pick some up on the way home. I have a recipe link-up going on on my blog, and I'd love it if you'd add this! http://blog.thesingingsparrow.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I was just at Wasem's last weekend! I wonder if you were there when I was. We picked an entire bushel of apples and then as I was peeling them this week I wondered what I was thinking buying that many. At least the kids will have plenty of applesauce this year. Anyway, thanks for the awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh YUM! You are right, everything is cuter when it is miniature.

    It was great meeting you at Liberty Local today! I hope to get to one if the crafter meet ups soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way the pie crust settles into the cupcake holes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so funny. A few weeks ago we went apple picking and I made tons of applesauce. Used up every last apple. Then I saw this post and thought, boy those look good. A few days later my mom brought me another huge bag of apples but I could not remember where I saw this recipe since I'm really not into baking. I was looking through old blog posts but couldn't find it. Long story short... I was looking in my Google Reader tonight and saw your post title about apples but this time fabric. Yay! I've found the recipe I was looking for. Now, let's see if I actually make it. I'm a terrible cook/baker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up at The Singing Sparrow! I have plans to make this for our Octoberfest at work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this!
    My fiance wanted single bite apple pies for his birthday party and I could not find a recipe anywhere (for the temperature and time), and was starting to wonder if it was possible.

    ReplyDelete