Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another post about apples - but with fabric!

_DSC2940

I'm not really a love at first site type of person; when it comes to relationships, or my preference in fabric.  In fact, some of my favorite lines of fabric I particularly hated when they first came out.  I guess it just takes awhile for them to grow on me, and it usually always helps if I see them in person.  Us sewists are tactile people, and viewing a fabric online never really compares to handling the actual bolt.

Anyway, this has been the case with Aneela Hoey's latest line of fabric, Little Apples.

_DSC2933

After a few nights of helping my friend fill orders for her shop, two of these charm packs ended up coming home with me because I could not get them out of my mind.  It's such a fresh fall palatte - not the typical browns, reds, yellows, etc - and I just adore the addition of that dark olive.  I've seen so many people make quilts from this line and omit the olive colorway - but I think that's what really makes this line great.

_DSC2918

Since I only had two charm packs to work with, I added in some solids borders to make the quilt a little larger, and the green dots are from an older Moda line that I had in my stash.  I looked high and low for a solid olive that matched the charms, but nothing came even remotely close and I didn't feel like waiting around to order yardage.  Nevertheless, I think the dots work really well with the rest of the fabrics.

_DSC2922

For some reason, I always hate having to shell out more money for quilt backs, so I usually end up piecing them with my leftovers from the front, and anything else I've got lying around my stash.  Ohhhh, how I hate being on a budget.

_DSC2920

Even though it's definitely not my forte, I ended up free motion quilting this in an all-over pattern of leaves and loops that I totally made up as I went along.

_DSC2924

It looks pretty decent in this picture, but there are some very questionable looking leaves in other spots! 

_DSC2927

And the best part - this quilt is staying with us!  I know - sewing for myself - how decadent!

8 comments:

  1. You know, I hadn't warmed to her lines, but this is starting to make me question that. So helpful to see fabric used like this or in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And, being on a budget is what forces us to become artists - relying on our talent and our eye to make it work vs being able to run to the store all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is absolutely beautiful! I love the olive and wish I had the time and talent to tackle making a quilt. This one is definitely inspirational to me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt looks great! The green dots are perfect.

    I like this line much more than I thought I would - maybe it is the olive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this and you addition with the green dots / olive fabric is great. It really does come together well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it what great patterns and colours and i love your free hand sewing on the back it looks great. Its lovely when you are able to keep items for yourself to. Enjoy it, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this! I especially like the free motion quilting, which I fear I'll never get the hang of, and that you winged it on the back, which turned out lovely, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete