Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love for the Dead Feminists

I don't think I've mentioned it on the blog yet, but my lovely and wonderful sister Abby is getting married in a couple of weeks.  I'm making a lot of the decorations and will be creating an eight and a half foot dessert table, so my life is pretty much consumed by that right now.  Some of those projects might be sneaking on to the blog here and there :)

Anyway, Abby had her first bridal shower a couple of weeks ago and while her big present will be revealed at another shower later next month, I still wanted to get her something special for this one.

I personally think that letterpress prints make lovely gifts.  It might be TMI, but I actually find them quite sexy, lol.  I stumbled across Amagram Press not too long ago and fell in love with their Dead Feminist Series, which is described as...

A series of collaborative, limited-edition letterpress broadsides created by Chandler O'Leary with Jessica Spring. Each broadside features a quote by a historical feminist, ties in with current political and social issues, and is letterpress printed from hand-drawn lettering and illustrations.

"To stand at the edge of the sea, to sense the ebb and flow of the tides, to feel the breath of a mist moving over a great salt marsh, to watch the flight of shore birds that have swept up and down the sun lines of the continents for untold thousands of year ... is to have knowledge of things that are as nearly eternal as any earthly life can be." 
 
My sister and her fiance live in Florida and have a deep love of the ocean, so I thought this print fit them perfect.  (You can see it larger here)

The thing about this series is that each print is only in production for a short period of time and when they're gone, they're gone.  However they do offer oversized postcard reproduction prints - and at only $1.75 each, you can afford to put them all over your house!  

But to fancy it up a bit, I matted it on some cardstock, stuck it in a clip frame, and glued some vintage crocheted trim around the edges.  I think the entire project cost me about $7.00.

"One tends to give one's fingers too little credit for their own good sense."
Next on the list is to frame this one that I picked up for myself which I loooooooove.  But it will have to wait until after the wedding.


No comments:

Post a Comment