Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Toddler Crafting

I've never really been into Valentine's day.  I've always found it a bit forced, with people buying expensive gifts and going overboard trying to do something romantic, just because it's Valentine's Day, and that's what is expected.  I always pass over the red and pink aisles in the store that appear before Christmas even comes, and roll my eyes at all the jewelry commercials.  My husband and I don't exchange gifts or go out to a fancy dinner - just a simple I love you suffices. 


Well, that all changed now that I have a daughter.  My husband and I still don't make a big deal out of the day, but I think it's a really fun holiday for kids.  You can dress them up all cute, make fun, heart-shaped food, and let's face it - there is no shortage of valentine crafts.

I've been waiting very patiently for Phoebe to get old enough to start actively participating in doing crafts.  She's just getting to that age now where she really likes to complete simple tasks and has the attention span of more than two minutes.

We invited Phoebe's good friend EB over today (yes, Phoebe & EB) and made first toddler craft project!


This is a really simple one that has been floating all over the web.  You basically collect a bunch of crayon shaving (I couldn't find a pencil sharpener, so I used my potato peeler :)

Cut out two identical shapes from waxed paper.  We went with hearts for Valentine's Day, of course.


Then the kiddos get to sprinkle the crayon shavings all over the shape.


I was so incredibly excited and proud at how Phoebe got so into this.  She was sitting there, so serious in her big girl chair, taking little handfuls of shavings and delicately sprinkling them all over her heart. 


Then put the second piece of waxed paper on top of the first and place between a few sheets of newspaper.  Press with a warm iron for a few seconds.


Finally, peel back the newspaper to reveal your stained glass creation!


I ended up hanging these in the window with some fishing line, and they really do look pretty with the sunlight streaming through.  She kept coming in the kitchen the rest of the night to point them out and was super excited to show them to daddy when he got home.

It gives me high hopes for our crafting future together :)

4 comments:

  1. this post made me smile so much, excited that you are getting to do crafty things with miss phoebe now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a crayon shaving project similar to that in kindergarten and I still remember doing it. In fact, I was just thinking about it a few days ago. Glad Phoebe's getting the craft bug already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder - although I haven't done this craft in ages, I used to do it a lot as a kid. I'm going to get my toddler into it now too!

    ReplyDelete