Friday, July 8, 2011

More pennants - in quilt form

**Edited to add - This quilt is now available in my shop! **

We had the big reveal of our Kona Challenge Quilts last week at our Modern Quilt Guild Meeting, so I can finally share my finished piece with you!  So basically Robert Kaufman provided a charm pack (about 40 five inch squares) to each of the members, and we had to come up with a quilt using only that charm pack and an additional solid or two.  No prints allowed!

So here's what I did....

_DSC1528

I ironed a piece of fusible webbing to the back of each of my charm squares....

_DSC1535

cut them up into assorted triangles....

_DSC1539

and spent about three hours rearranging them until it looked like this....

_DSC1837

If you haven't noticed, I'm a bit addicted to pennants.

_DSC1848

I ironed them all to a large piece of Kona Snow, then zig-zag stitched around every one of them.  The quilting was done in long swooping lines - following the curve of the pennants, with some extras added in around the open areas.

_DSC1859

And since I still had so many scraps left over - already fused and ready to go, I decided to make this quilt reversible! 

_DSC1861

Big and little pinwheels and starbursts - and yes, I zig-zag stitched around every piece.  Thank goodness I worked on this with friends at a sew-in or I might have gone crazy!

Be sure and check out the other kona challenge quilts from Modern Quilt Guilds all over the world at their flickr page.

10 comments:

  1. THIS IS AWESOME. great idea and it turned out so well. Now, how do you manage to finish quilts so fast?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just ridiculously cute! I really liked the front, and then I saw the back and was all, "lurve!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of these so much! The pastels and the design work together to make them so sweet and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great challenge quilt! I love pennants, and I think the back is just great. Way to use up your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Your quilt is gorgeous!!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is fantastic! I love the back as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous quilt. It's one of those rare ideas where you think, wow, I wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, this quilt is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete